Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Another Victory For Marriage Equality"

The New York Times' opinion on Prop 8 seems to be a positive one, given the great Editorial written on Thursday. The writer seems to be excited, writing "the fight for equality for gay people advanced another important step forward."

I myself am happy for this ruling. I believe marriage should be for everyone who is willing and able to understand the meaning of it. Marriage should be taken seriously for couples, and it shouldn't matter about your seal orientation, it should matter though, if you are emotionally mature for it. Too many couples these days are signing up for a wedding only to get divorced within a year, what makes it worse, are the celebrity couple that make it seem okay (i.e. Kim Kardashian, Brittany Spears...)

It's also pointed out towards the end, that next week, New Jersey Legislature is voting on the issue. Unfortunately, Gov. Chris Christie promised to veto the law if the bill is passed. For me, I find this nerve wracking, Jersey is my home state, and while we are never the first to pass a controversial law, Jersey quickly jumps on the bandwagon right after New York.

I hope rulings like the one in Prop 8 continue, it will surely make the world a much more open and accepting place.

To read the article for yourself, Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment