Friday, February 17, 2012

New Jersey passes gay-marriage bill

Last week, I talked about the failure of prop 8, a bill that was meant to block gay marriage in California. I mention in the entry the bill in New Jersey that was going to vote this week. I am happy to report that gay marriage is now officially passed in New Jersey.

While the bill would not go into effect until June, it's still good news to hear as a resident. New Jersey has been waiting a long time for this bill, and it's finally time. Unfortunately, it's not safe to celebrate yet. Chris Christie, the governor of New Jersey, still promises a Veto. He is very confident that the senate will not get enough votes to override it. Thankfully, they would have until the end of 2013 to override it, so hopefully, this will all work itself out.


Read More About the Subject, Here.

2 comments:

  1. Maryland recently passed a bill in the senate in favor of gay marriage. It is a shame that people can't be more accepting. Sexual orientation should not be a factor in marriage, if two people are in love that is all that should be needed for two people to get married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Pete. Love is love and if a couple is in a stable, caring relationship then there is no reason that they shouldn't be allowed to celebrate that love and be recognized by society. There are plenty of heterosexual marriages that don't exceed a month or two, yet nobody is claiming that they are ruining the sanctity of marriage. Personally I see something wrong with that picture.

    ReplyDelete